wandapedersen39

Wanda's Book Reviews

Urban Enemies
Jim Butcher, Kevin Hearne, Kelley Armstrong, Seanan McGuire, Jeff Somers, Joseph Nassise, Jonathan Maberry
Shadow Rider (The Shadow Series)
Christine Feehan
Brothers in Arms
Lois McMaster Bujold, Grover Gardner

Gryphon : new and selected stories / Charles Baxter

Gryphon: New and Selected Stories - Charles Baxter

This was a selection for my book club two months ago--but I couldn't get my hands on it before this month.  I do remember that it was not the most popular book amongst book club members, so I had some prejudices going in.  I really didn't care for the first 6 stories, but after that I found them a bit better.  Perhaps I was just getting into the rhythm of reading short fiction, or maybe they improved, I'm not sure.  I am not usually a fan of short fiction--these stories would, in my opinion, just get going, I'd just get to know the characters a bit, and then they were over.  And they seemed uniformly depressing--people in difficult situations, not sure how to act, sometimes behaving poorly--and no real change to be found.  No redemption, no improvement in their situations or their lives.  No point, really.  I realize that this is probably the most true to real life, but I don't read for real life--I live that.  I want to read something unlike my life.

I really struggled to finish this book, especially since the book club meeting for which I was supposed to read it was long gone.

Extremely well written, but not for me.