wandapedersen39

Wanda's Book Reviews

Urban Enemies
Jim Butcher, Kevin Hearne, Kelley Armstrong, Seanan McGuire, Jeff Somers, Joseph Nassise, Jonathan Maberry
Shadow Rider (The Shadow Series)
Christine Feehan
J.R. Ward
Bloodfever
Karen Marie Moning

My Ten Things

Thanks to all who have already shared 10 things, especially to Grimlock who got the ball rolling!

1.  I am also an introvert, although I can stand quite happily in front of a large group of strangers and give a presentation as long as I know the subject matter extremely well.  But, put a drink in my hand and send me out into the same group of strangers to make small talk and I will soon disappear out the back door and head for home.  For socializing, I prefer a small group of known quantities.
  2. I was a horse-crazy kid/teen and at one point had three horses (the benefits of growing up on a farm).  In my thirties, living in an apartment, I acquired two bunnies.  Although I am currently without animals, my goal is eventually to become a Crazy Bunny Lady.
  3. I have two Bachelor of Arts degrees in General Studies (polite talk for saying I couldn’t make up my mind) and in Canadian Studies.  I have taken at least a half course in darn near everything except engineering or business.  In fact I took 3 half courses in Ancient Greek translation—don’t ask me why, I have forgotten my younger self’s motivation for this!  I now remember only one sentence, the first one I ever translated, “The boat is in Byzantium.”  Not dreadfully useful.
  4. I am a Shakespeare nerd, trying to see and read all of the Bard’s plays.  I like to see them first, then read the text once I feel I know what’s going on.
  5. I have worked in a university library since the mid-1980s.  Currently I am a cataloguer and as such I have created records for many media: books, pamphlets, video recordings, videogames, sound recordings, special collections, etc.  I’m currently finishing up the loose ends on a major military book donation, learning how to arrange archival collections and doing database clean-up for our campus museum’s Numismatics collection.  Eventually, I may get my hands on a major comic book collection donation.
  6. I all but quit reading in my mid-thirties when my parents were killed in a car accident.  I had always discussed my reading with my mother and couldn’t face the printed page without my discussion buddy.  I even gave away vast portions of my book collection.  Eventually I returned to reading non-fiction and just a few years ago was lured back into the world of reading fiction and reviewing by science fiction and fantasy literature.
  7. I am an obsessed birder and have seen over 2000 bird species (for perspective, there are approximately 10,000 species world-wide).  I am going to Venezuela in March and to China in April to notch a few more species.
  8. I have been to all seven continents, including twice to Antarctica.  My goal is to see all species of penguins and cranes, so I will probably return to Antarctica at some point in pursuit of the Emperor Penguin.
  9. I often feel like a square peg in a round hold in our society, as I have never married, have no children, do not own a television and read constantly.  The bird obsession doesn’t help, either.
  10. Although I enjoy my job, I am planning to retire in 2.5 years.  Then I plan to look for a part-time job in a wine store so that I can take advantage of the employee discount.