wandapedersen39

Beloved
Toni Morrison
Cold Moon
Alexandra Sokoloff
The Shadow Cabinet (The Shades of London)
Maureen Johnson
The Moonstone
Wilkie Collins
City of Golden Shadow
Tad Williams
Progress: 54/780 pages

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows / J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  - J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter is leaving Privet Drive for the last time. But as he climbs into the sidecar of Hagrid’s motorbike and they take to the skies, he knows Lord Voldemort and the Death Eaters will not be far behind.

The protective charm that has kept him safe until now is broken. But the Dark Lord is breathing fear into everything he loves. And he knows he can’t keep hiding.

To stop Voldemort, Harry knows he must find the remaining Horcruxes and destroy them.

He will have to face his enemy in one final battle.

I read this book to fill the Dark Academia square of my 2019 Halloween Bingo Card.

Well, it has taken me six years, but I have finally finished the Harry Potter series. I think I liked this last book best of all of them, as Harry was more focused on the well-being of others and less caught up in how hard-done-by he was. I also found that Ron’s temporary removal from the action was quite realistic--who hasn’t squabbled with a friend when tired/hungry/cold/wet?

Rowling is good at keeping the action moving and upping the ante. She doesn’t shrink from treating her characters harshly either--like in any war, there will be casualties. Wikipedia claims that she channeled the grief over her mother’s death into some of the moving scenes in the Potter books and I would like to believe that is true.

I came to this series much too late in life to be as consumed with it as some of my friends, but I can certainly understand the appeal. I’m glad to have read it (and to finally be finished), but I rather doubt that I’ll be re-reading it in the future. There are too many new books that capture my attention and favourites to be revisited.