wandapedersen39

L.E. Modesitt Jr.
Progress: 412/617 pages

The Mortal Word / Genevieve Cogman

The Mortal Word - Genevieve Cogman

Peace talks are always tricky, especially when a key diplomat gets stabbed. This rudely interrupts a top-secret summit between the warring dragons and Fae. As a neutral party, Librarian-spy Irene is summoned to investigate. She must head to a version of 1890s Paris, with her assistant Kai and her detective friend Vale, where these talks are fracturing. Here, she must get to the bottom of the attack – before either the peace negotiations or the city go up in flames.

Suspicions fly thick and fast and Irene soon finds herself in the seedy depths of the Parisian underworld. She’s on the trail of a notoriously warlike Fae, the Blood Countess. However, the evidence against the Countess is circumstantial. Could the killer be a member of the Library itself?

2019 Re-read

When life gets complicated, my reading needs simplify. Ms. Cogman’s Invisible Library series had seen me through a challenging week of no running water and cat care duties.

Ah, the dragon intrigue volume! This is where the rubber meets the road for Irene and Kai. Not to mention whether the Invisible Library will be able to maintain it’s neutrality. Plenty of mysterious happenings, complete with gangsters and over-head dragon duels.

This is the “diplomacy is hard” volume too. As Irene notes at one point, “And there was another elephant in the room. There were so many elephants in the room that it was getting positively crowded.”

Ms. Cogman, I will read as many of these adventures as you choose to write. I hope there are plans for several more, as this is too good a fantasy world for me to abandon it happily.