wandapedersen39

Wanda's Book Reviews

The Lost Plot / Genevieve Cogman

The Lost Plot - Genevieve Cogman

In a 1930s-esque New York, Prohibition is in force, fedoras, flapper dresses and tommy guns are in fashion, and intrigue is afoot. Intrepid Librarians Irene and Kai find themselves caught in the middle of a dragon vs dragon contest. It seems a young librarian has become tangled in this conflict, and if they can't extricate him there could be serious political repercussions for the mysterious Library. And, as the balance of power across mighty factions hangs in the balance, this could even trigger war.

Irene and Kai find themselves trapped in a race against time (and dragons) to procure a rare book. They'll face gangsters, blackmail and fiendish security systems. And if this doesn't end well, it could have dire consequences for Irene's job. And, incidentally, for her life . . .

2019 Re-read

When life gets complicated, my reading needs simplify. Ms. Cogman’sInvisible Library series had seen me through a challenging week of no running water and cat care duties.

Ah, the dragon intrigue volume! This is where the rubber meets the road for Irene and Kai. Not to mention whether the Invisible Library will be able to maintain it’s neutrality. Plenty of mysterious happenings, complete with gangsters and over-head dragon duels.

This is the “diplomacy is hard” volume too. As Irene notes at one point, “And there was another elephant in the room. There were so many elephants in the room that it was getting positively crowded.”

Ms. Cogman, I will read as many of these adventures as you choose to write. I hope there are plans for several more, as this is too good a fantasy world for me to abandon it happily.