wandapedersen39

Beloved
Toni Morrison
Cold Moon
Alexandra Sokoloff
The Shadow Cabinet (The Shades of London)
Maureen Johnson
The Moonstone
Wilkie Collins
City of Golden Shadow
Tad Williams
Progress: 54/780 pages

The Masked City / Genevieve Cogman

The Masked City - Genevieve Cogman

Librarian-spy Irene is working undercover in an alternative London when her assistant Kai goes missing. She discovers he's been kidnapped by the fae faction and the repercussions could be fatal. Not just for Kai, but for whole worlds.

Kai's dragon heritage means he has powerful allies, but also powerful enemies in the form of the fae. With this act of aggression, the fae are determined to trigger a war between their people - and the forces of order and chaos themselves.

Irene's mission to save Kai and avert Armageddon will take her to a dark, alternate Venice where it's always Carnival. Here Irene will be forced to blackmail, fast talk, and fight. Or face death.

2019 Re-read

When life gets complicated, my reading needs simplify. Ms. Cogman’sInvisible Library series had seen me through a challenging week of no running water and cat care duties.

TMC is an excellent follow-up to TIL, where we get to know much more about the Fae in general and Lord Silver in particular. Needless to say, Irene is up to the challenge, teaming up with Vale to rescue Kai from a high-chaos world. We also learn about the awesome power of the royal Dragons and about Kai’s background.

Cogman’s inventions of the Library tattoo and the Language are both stellar. It would be hard to overstate how much I loved these details as a library worker myself.

Ms. Cogman, I will read as many of these adventures as you choose to write. I hope there are plans for several more, as this is too good a fantasy world for me to abandon it happily.