wandapedersen39

Wanda's Book Reviews

The Invisible Library / Genevieve Cogman

The Invisible Library - Genevieve Cogman

Irene is a professional spy for the mysterious Library, which harvests fiction from different realities. And along with her enigmatic assistant Kai, she's posted to an alternative London. Their mission - to retrieve a dangerous book. But when they arrive, it's already been stolen. London's underground factions seem prepared to fight to the very death to find her book.

Adding to the jeopardy, this world is chaos-infested - the laws of nature bent to allow supernatural creatures and unpredictable magic. Irene's new assistant is also hiding secrets of his own.

Soon, she's up to her eyebrows in a heady mix of danger, clues and secret societies. Yet failure is not an option - the nature of reality itself is at stake.

2019 Re-read

When life gets complicated, my reading needs simplify. Ms. Cogman’sInvisible Library series had seen me through a challenging week. Our February here in Alberta was a bitterly cold one, and it has seen a lot of frozen water pipes as the frost went deeper than usual. Just before the Easter weekend, there was a water main break as the result of frozen, split pipes on the road just outside my building. Hauling water from a tank on the street to my apartment became a several-times-a-day requirement. However, my cousin was on vacation and I also had responsibility for her cat--what a relief to be able to decamp to her house, with hot and cold running water and a cuddly kitty.

Suffice it to say, I enjoyed the series all over again, maybe more this second time through. I love Irene, the librarian spy, and all of her friends and allies. Having read all the available books, I didn’t find this one quite so “busy” this time around. It helps to know where things are headed to see why all the complexity is required.

Ms. Cogman, I will read as many of these adventures as you choose to write. I hope there are plans for several more, as this is too good a fantasy world for me to abandon it happily.