wandapedersen39

Honor Bound
Ann Aguirre, Rachel Caine

The Callahan Touch / Spider Robinson

The Callahan Touch - Spider Robinson

Opening Night at Mary's Place is the hottest ticket in the galaxy - a brand-new bar with some old familiar faces. Jake's back, along with Doc, Fast Eddie, and the rest of the Callahan's gang. And just when things couldn't get crazier, guess who shows up in the Mick of Time to make sure they do...

Once again, I find myself wishing that I liked the Callahan’s books more than I do. Robinson tries for a much more obviously optimistic view of the world than most other authors and he obviously holds dear the concepts of acceptance of those who differ from ourselves, true friendship, and solid romantic relationships. I can appreciate those aspects of his writing.

He’s obviously a socially progressive guy—but he really hits the reader over the head with it in this book. Jake, our narrator, is a stand-in for Robinson himself. And Jake is really busy showing us how un-prejudiced and liberal-minded he is, while also espousing a very right-wing Libertarian outlook. In these characteristics, he very obviously follows in the footsteps of Robert A. Heinlein and John Varley, both of whom receive mention in this volume.

Of course, the punning continues and I’ve almost (almost) become inured to it, but it’s become the sand in the unappealing sandwich. You know what you’re going to get when you pick up one of the Callahan’s books and it has been repetitive for some time now.

Book number 314 in my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project.