wandapedersen39

Guy Gavriel Kay
A Game of Thrones
George R.R. Martin

TBR Thursday

Smoke and Iron - Rachel Caine The Children of Men - P.D. James Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West - Gregory Maguire Lady Slings the Booze - Spider Robinson Steel Beach - John Varley Athyra - Steven Brust

I've lost my groove and I've got to get it back!  I'm finding myself struggling to pay attention to the page in the evenings and am planning a deep dive into my favourite genres to help me get back on track.

First, the two books with holds on them at the library:  Smoke and Iron and Children of Men.  I've been excited to get my hands on the next installment of Rachel Caine's Great Library series, and I'm sure it will be an excellent reading experience.  CoM will be my first time reading P.D. James, so I'll be interested to see what that's like.

Then, its a plunge back into my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project, with Wicked, Lady Slings the Booze, Steel Beach, and Athyra.  I've had Wicked out of the library for a while now and have renewed it a couple of times, so its time for me to read it or throw it back!  The other three were purchases at the used book store and I'd like to read them & return them for credit.

In the meantime, I'm headed to a play on Saturday:  Hammered Hamlet, part of the Drunken Shakespeare series.  It's a collaboration between our city's Shakespeare Company and the experimental theatre group, One Yellow Rabbit, and it's part of the annual High Performance Rodeo that OYR produces each year.

I'm debating whether to drive out to my home town on Sunday to see my aunt.  She's 87, has been diagnosed with breast cancer (for which she has refused treatment) and has been in hospital with lung problems.  I heard from one of her daughters yesterday--she doesn't have pneumonia, which is why the antibiotics weren't doing anything for her, but has liquid in the linings of her lungs.  They're planning a procedure to remove that, which should improve her quality of life substantially.  She also had a meeting with a palliative care nurse who declared her "not even close" to needing that service.  Good news.  I've been out to see her in November, December, and earlier this month, but I have the pressing feeling that our time is limited.  I'm leaning towards going out again.

Anyway, that's my life right now.  It's also quite busy at work for various reasons.  I'm not getting to spend as much time here as I would like, but I'll be back, I promise.

Have a great weekend!