wandapedersen39

The Fires of Heaven
Robert Jordan
Progress: 476/912 pages

Menu Monday

Well, I might as well confess right now that in 2018 my inner hoarder got the best of me.  I was unable to by-pass a sale of canned goods that I knew that I could use at some point.  As a result, the canned goods shelf in my kitchen in over flowing.  One of my New Year's Resolutions is to use up what I've got before I buy more.

The second thing is my new recipe file--it is stuffed full of magazine pages and photocopies, all of food that sounds good to me.  So my second Resolution is to try more of these recipes.  Any that are good, I copy into my personal cookbook, then I send the photocopies to my sister.  She has recently let me know that she appreciates my being her personal test kitchen.  She cooked several things over the holidays that turned out well.

So, in the interest of pursuing my Resolutions, here are the canned goods used to produce a Pumpkin Pie Crumble for a family event over Christmas:

And here is the complete crumble:

Topped with a bit of whipped topping, it was quite delightful:

More recently, I made Mexican Pork Stew:

It only required one tin of tomatoes, so you are spared the "Can Photo."

However, I was very happy to move all of these items out of inventory:

The creamed corn went into this Creole Cornbread:

When it was fresh from the oven, it was quite pleasant, if a bit crumbly.  Leftovers are not nearly as nice, even when heated, so I think I will return to my cornmeal muffins in future.

Also produced during this session was Deconstructed Cabbage Roll Soup:

The recipe made an enormous amount, so some has been pitched into the freezer, to provide a home-cooked meal on one of those evenings when I have no desire to cook anything.

2019 is off to a good start!