wandapedersen39

Canada
Richard Ford
Progress: 36/420 pages

A story inspired by a Reese Witherspoon quote

"You won't meet a friend sitting on your couch."

--from Reese Witherspoon's book Whiskey in a Teacup

I had a friend, years ago, who gave me this same advice but about dating.  She used to say, "You'll never meet a man if you sit home on the couch."

It was around this time that the telephone system was changing in our province--we went from one government-run company to a number of private carriers.  It was well before the internet was a thing, and they were sending salesmen door-to-door, trying to get people to change companies.

I was cooking supper one evening when someone knocked on my door.  A young salesman trying to talk telephones with me.  I turned him down as politely as possible, but he looked at me strangely and said, "Okay, I get that you're fine with your phone company.  But would you consider grabbing a cup of coffee with me some time?"  Once again, I turned him down as gently as possible, to which he responded, "Well, you can't blame a guy for trying."

When I told my friend about this the next day, she laughed and said, "Wanda, you're the only woman I know who found a date without leaving home!"