wandapedersen39

Wanda's Book Reviews

Menu Monday (but on Tuesday)

This delay until Tuesday is becoming habitual for me!  I find it difficult to get everything organized on a Monday morning--that's my story & I'm sticking to it!

I'm afraid that the first menu item that I'm reporting was a dire failure from my perspective.  I got the recipe off the interwebs and it sounded great.

Bang-Bang Shrimp with Pasta:

I really didn't like the sauce.  Maybe it was the Thai Sweet Chili Sauce which was a major component of the sauce.  Now I've got part of a bottle of the stuff and must find a way to use it.  I've found two chicken recipes that I'd be willing to try to use it up.  I didn't mind the taste with the shrimp, but disliked it on the pasta, if that makes any sense.  So it might be fine on chicken.

Next up was Cashew Chicken:

There were two half peppers (red and yellow) getting elderly in my crisper and this also had the benefit of using 1 can of water chestnuts (from my pantry hoard).  My inner hoarder has obviously had the upper hand during my grocery shopping recently and I must start planning menus based on the number of cans that I will be able to use up.

This weekend, I decided that something must also be done with a bowl full of apples that were getting soft and unpleasant for lunches.  A quick consult with a cookbook which I've got on loan from the library, and I hauled out the slow cooker and made Crustless Apple Pie.  Which is basically chunky applesauce, but I like applesauce.

This is my version.  Following is the picture from the cookbook:

Finally, I made a Ground Beef Curry:

This used a jalapeno pepper that was on its last legs, a large can of tomatoes, and ground beef & frozen peas already in the freezer.  Not to mention using up two potatoes.  Since I adore curries of all descriptions, this was a great winter evening meal.

Bon appétit, friends!