wandapedersen39

Wanda's Book Reviews

The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements
Sam Kean
Doomsday Book
Connie Willis
Progress: 226/578 pages

Menu Monday

Once again, I've been struggling to convince myself to cook.  But having this photo project to contribute to has encouraged me to keep on producing better food for myself.

First up, Harvest Baked Oatmeal:

This provided breakfast for a whole week!

Next up was Smoky Tomato Soup:

It all started with bacon because bacon makes everything better.  Hence the bacon sprinkles on the soup surface.

Please also note the Cornmeal Cheese Muffins on the side.  Nummy!

Then, I had bits & bobs to use up, so made a Frittata:

An excellent way use up a leftover baked potato, a red pepper that was on its last legs, some Italian sausage that I had defrosted but not put to good use yet, shredded cheese that had been open for a while, plus some eggs that had lingered in the fridge for a while.

Then, it was time to bake for Book Club.  They are my guinea pigs, so I tried a new recipe for Orange Gingerbread:

This was made with quinoa flour and almond flour.  The glaze was icing sugar & orange juice.

It was not bad, but didn't get rave reviews.  I rather doubt that I'll make it again.

And finally, on Saturday night for a treat, I made Hoisin Pork Ribs:

This is one of my all-time favourite recipes, a real comfort meal.  These are the left-overs, because I couldn't wait to dig in once they were ready.  With rice & broccoli, they made a great cool weather Saturday evening event.

Happy cooking, friends!