wandapedersen39

12 Days at Bleakly Manor: Book 1 in Once Upon a Dickens Christmas
Michelle Griep
Jade Dragon Mountain
Elsa Hart
Shark Drunk: The Art of Catching a Large Shark from a Tiny Rubber Dinghy in a Big Ocean
Morten A. Str√łksnes
The Last Command
Timothy Zahn
Progress: 322/480 pages

Menu Monday (but on Tuesday)

I am stealing WhiskeyintheJar Romance's idea of Menu Monday.  I find it difficult to convince myself sometimes to cook when its "only me."  The idea of photographing & sharing made the cooking much more interesting to me.  We just finished a long Thanksgiving weekend, hence the Tuesday-ness of my Menu Monday.

First up was Apricot-Sriracha Glazed Meatballs.  They were from the appetizer section of the Yum and Yummer cookbook, but I used them as a main course.  They were excellent and I think I can safely say that I will make them again.

Next, I made a pasta casserole (fancy Mac & Cheese) with roasted butternut squash, lots of garlic, and bacon.  Provolone cheese in the sauce, plus topped with Parmesan.  Really good, but I'm starting to think that dairy doesn't agree with me, so I don't think this will be a repeater.

More successful was this Chili Garlic Chicken stir fry.  Another sauce with Sriracha.  Very tasty and since this is the second time I have cooked it, I think its safe to say its one of my go-to recipes now.

For book club on Friday, I made this plum coffee cake.  The recipe actually called for peaches, but I had plums on hand, needing to be used.  This one was delicious and the book club women dug in!  A success.

My contribution to Thanksgiving dinner was Pumpkin Bread--I tried two recipes, both gluten and dairy free.  The one on the left was made with almond flour, the one on the right with a gluten free mix.  Both are tasty, but the one on the right is far more attractive.

You can tell in this photo that the almond flour loaf really didn't rise.  It tasted fine, but the texture was a bit soft.  The other (from Gluten Free on a Shoe String) had better texture, rise and appearance.

It's challenging to cook for one and to do so gluten-free.  Plus, it remains to be seen if I can stick with this photography project!  Encouragement is appreciated.