wandapedersen39

Wanda's Book Reviews

Jade City
Fonda Lee
Changes (Dresden Files, Book 12)
Jim Butcher
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
John le Carré
Progress: 183/381 pages
Ian Fleming
Andrew Lycett
Progress: 186/496 pages

The Urban Fantasy Anthology / edited by Peter S. Beagle & Joe R. Lansdale

The Urban Fantasy Anthology - Charles de Lint, Carrie Vaughn, Francesca Lia Block, Tim Powers, Susan Palwick, Joe R. Lansdale, Thomas M. Disch, Suzy McKee Charnas, Bruce McAllister, Jeffrey Ford, Emma Bull, Steven R. Boyett, Al Sarrantonio, Peter S. Beagle, Neil Gaiman, Norman Partridge, Kelley Armst

Star-studded and comprehensive, this imaginative anthology brings a myriad of modern fantasy voices under one roof. Previously difficult for readers to discover in its new modes, urban fantasy is represented here in all three of its distinct styles—playful new mythologies, sexy paranormal romances, and gritty urban noir. Whether they feature tattooed demon-hunters, angst-ridden vampires, supernatural gumshoes, or pixelated pixies, these authors—including Patricia Briggs, Neil Gaiman, and Charles de Lint—mash-up traditional fare with pop culture, creating iconic characters, conflicted moralities, and complex settings. The result is starkly original fiction that has broad-based appeal and is immensely entertaining.

An interesting collection of short fiction. For those who think that urban fantasy consists only of paranormal romance, this volume will surprise you. The Mythic fiction and Noir Fantasy sections may be just what you’ve been wanting. At least one of the stories reminded me strongly in atmosphere of Stephen King’s novel The Stand.

I was particularly enamoured of the Patricia Briggs story, Seeing Eye, which fills in some backstory in the Alpha & Omega series, namely the story of the blind witch Moira and her werewolf companion. The volume was a worthwhile read for me with just this one story.

I also found Susan Palwick’s “Gestella” to be a haunting story, well worth the read.

A nice selection of stories to read “in the cracks” between other books.