wandapedersen39

Artemis Fowl
Eoin Colfer

The Trouble with Demons / Lisa Shearin

The Trouble with Demons - Lisa Shearin

For seeker Raine Benares, a demon infestation on the Isle of Mid couldn't come at a worse time. Already fighting the influence of the Saghred, a soul-stealing stone, Raine discovers she is also magically bonded to a dark mage and a white knight, two dangerous and powerful men on opposing sides.

Turns out, the demons want the key to unlock the Saghred. As a seeker, Raine should be able to find it first. As the axis of light and dark powers, she's a magical cataclysm waiting to happen.

I really enjoyed this book, number 3 in the series, despite the fact that I read the first 3 volumes right in a row. Believe me, leave some time in between the books for your memory to fade a little bit, otherwise the repetition will drive you insane. I had picked up the first 3 books second-hand and there was no one around to hold me back once I got started—I’m giving this 4 stars because I know that’s what it would have received had I given myself a break after Armed and Magical.

I do love Lisa Shearin’s sense of humour and the sarcastic, snippy voice that she gives to her female lead characters. This fantasy world is easy to visualize and complex enough to keep me interested. Plus, I love Raine’s assembly of family and friends, all of whom are willing to team up to help her to achieve her objective, to sever her ties to the evil Saghred, a powerful magical stone.

I said in my review of Armed and Magical that I truly didn’t understand why Raine should be forced to choose between Mychael and Tam, her white knight Elf and dark mage Goblin. In this installment, the three become truly enmeshed, a messy situation which smacks of real life. And to their credit, the boys aren’t pressuring her yet to make any such choices—everyone is still focused on the problem at hand: closing a hell gate, dealing with a fleet of demons, and coping with the politics of the situation.

Thankfully, I haven’t located book 4 yet and will have to quit hurtling along in this series, which is fortunate as I seem to have the same sort of self-control with them as I do with potato chips (not much, in other words).