wandapedersen39

Progress: 33/416 pages
Artemis Fowl
Eoin Colfer
Magic Breaks - Ilona Andrews

No matter how much the paranormal politics of Atlanta change, one thing always remains the same: if there’s trouble, Kate Daniels will be in the middle of it…

As the mate of the Beast Lord, Curran, former mercenary Kate Daniels has more responsibilities than it seems possible to juggle. Not only is she still struggling to keep her investigative business afloat, she must now deal with the affairs of the pack, including preparing her people for attack from Roland, a cruel ancient being with god-like powers. Since Kate’s connection to Roland has come out into the open, no one is safe—especially those closest to Kate.

As Roland’s long shadow looms ever nearer, Kate is called to attend the Conclave, a gathering of the leaders from the various supernatural factions in Atlanta. When one of the Masters of the Dead is found murdered there, apparently at the hands of a shapeshifter, Kate is given only twenty-four hours to hunt down the killer. And this time, if she fails, she’ll find herself embroiled in a war which could destroy everything she holds dear…

This volume of the Kate Daniels saga successfully completes one story arc, that of Kate finally meeting her nemesis, Roland. However, it fails (on purpose) to neatly wrap things up, as there are more stories to be written (and money to be made from them, let’s be honest).

Not that I’m complaining, as I love this series and its associated books and I’m dreading when I’m all caught up to date and have to start waiting for new publications like most fans are already doing. In the meantime, I am haunting the used book stores in town and filling in the gaps in my collection as I find them.

If I had an issue with the story, it is mainly the whole “I realize this is a trap, but I’m going to walk into it anyway” routine that Curran and Kate seem to have going on. I’d have to go back and re-read to be positive, but don’t the Andrews use this situation at least once per book? Since this is book seven, I think everybody should be done with this little modus operandi by now.

However, I did enjoy getting some background on Ghastek. Poor guy, he seems to be the last to know anything! Keeps himself out of the information loop, he does. It was also good to see that Kate is making some personal progress with her magical abilities. And I guess that I’m a vindictive sort, because I enjoyed seeing the Order get what was coming to them. I loved the ending. I’m not necessarily the biggest Curran fan, but he made himself more acceptable during the last couple of chapters. Can Kate and Curran escape Pack politics? It remains to be seen.

A satisfying installment in the KD saga.