wandapedersen39

Wise Children
Angela Carter

Dayshift / Charlaine Harris

Day Shift - Charlaine Harris

There is no such thing as bad publicity, except in Midnight, Texas, where the residents like to keep to themselves. Even in a town full of secretive people, Olivia Charity is an enigma. She lives with the vampire Lemuel, but no one knows what she does; they only know that she’s beautiful and dangerous.

Psychic Manfred Bernardo finds out just how dangerous when he goes on a working weekend to Dallas and sees Olivia there with a couple who are both found dead the next day. To make matters worse, one of Manfred’s regular — and very wealthy — clients dies during a reading.

Manfred returns from Dallas embroiled in scandal and hounded by the press. He turns to Olivia for help; somehow he knows that the mysterious Olivia can get things back to normal. As normal as things get in Midnight...

Another almost-good book to follow Midnight Crossroad.  I didn’t get to see very much of the characters that truly interested me and had to endure far too much of Manfred Bernardo, who I could care less about.  The mystery wasn’t very mysterious and the plot wasn’t nearly as taut as I would have liked.  A lot of the action seems to be just going through the motions, with no emotional pull to speak of.  Although the reader gets to know Olivia better, it still felt superficial to me because we really don’t know the details of why she has turned out the way she did.  And Lemuel is MIA for this volume, which is too bad because he is one of the most intriguing inhabitants of Midnight.

I will probably finish the series at some point, just because I’ve made it through 2/3 of it already.  I do hope that this series is not reflective of Harris’ Aurora Teagarden or Lily Bard