wandapedersen39

I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life
Ed Yong

Midnight Crossroad / Charlaine Harris

Midnight Crossroad - Charlaine Harris

Welcome to Midnight, Texas, a town with many boarded-up windows and few full-time inhabitants, located at the crossing of Witch Light Road and Davy Road. It’s a pretty standard dried-up western town. There’s a pawnshop (someone lives in the basement and is seen only at night). There’s a diner (people who are just passing through tend not to linger). And there’s new resident Manfred Bernardo, who thinks he’s found the perfect place to work in private (and who has secrets of his own). Stop at the one traffic light in town, and everything looks normal. Stay awhile, and learn the truth...

Not my favourite book by Charlaine Harris by a long chalk. And that despite the fact that there is cross-over of characters from the Sookie Stackhouse series, which I am still reading and enjoying quite a bit. This book had potential—but I think Harris was still burnt out from finishing the Sookie series and should maybe have left this concept alone for a while.

I’m glad that I picked this novel up in a used book store—I’ll be returning it for credit and enjoying another volume of something else! Nonetheless, I finished it quickly and plunged on to the second volume (also purchased second hand), so it can’t have been that awful.

My major complaint is that not much actually seems to happen. If you are really into the characters, you will enjoy getting to know the new ones and catching up with the familiar ones. But Midnight, Texas is truly a tiny town and a small plot has to be inflated with minutia in order to fill an entire book.

Best bet for Charlaine Harris completionists.