wandapedersen39

Wanda's Book Reviews

Help for the Haunted
John Searles
The Secret Life of Germs: What They Are, Why We Need Them, and How We Can Protect Ourselves Against Them
Philip M. Tierno Jr.
Misery
Stephen King

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Volume 1: Squirrel Power!

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 1: Squirrel Power - Ryan North, Erica Henderson

Wolverine, Deadpool, Doctor Doom, Thanos: There's one hero that's beaten them all-and now she's got her own ongoing series! (Not that she's bragging.) That's right, you asked for it, you got it, it's SQUIRREL GIRL! (She's also starting college this semester.) It's the start of a brand-new set of adventures starring the nuttiest and most upbeat super hero in the world!

***Wanda’s Summer Carnival of Children’s Literature***

Who’s a cute, sassy superhero who will appeal to girls? Why Squirrel Girl, of course. She’s smart, but a bit of an adorable dork. She eats nuts and kicks butts. Except she does much less butt kicking that you would expect from that slogan—she actually solves a lot of problems by making reasonable arguments and making friends—a good thing really, as I value those skills over butt-kicking.

Also appreciated is that (other than her fluffy squirrel tail) she has a normal human figure. No wasp waists or gigantic breasts. And she wears a modest outfit that is very suited to leaping through trees and doing other squirrelly things. Not gorgeous, but brainy and talented, I think a lot of nerdy girls will identify with her and enjoy her adventures.