wandapedersen39

Wanda's Book Reviews

Good Me Bad Me
Ali Land
My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
Jim Butcher, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Rachel Caine, Susan Krinard, P.N. Elrod, L.A. Banks, Charlaine Harris, Lori Handeland, Esther M. Friesner
The Secret Life of Germs: What They Are, Why We Need Them, and How We Can Protect Ourselves Against Them
Philip M. Tierno Jr.
Misery
Stephen King

Fantasy Medley 3

A Fantasy Medley 3 - Kevin Hearne, Yanni Kuznia, Laura Bickle, Aliette de Bodard, Jacqueline Carey

This slim volume contains 4 short stories. I was only familiar with one author (Kevin Hearne) who happens to be the only male author of the four. His story, Goddess at the Crossroads is a fun little junket back in time with Atticus O’Sullivan telling a story of his adventures with William Shakespeare and relating to MacBeth. Very fun and lighthearted.

The other three stories are all very entertaining as well, with Jacqueline Carey’s offering, One Hundred Ablutions, beinb the best of the four for me. I’m looking forward to reading more of her work and I know she’s coming up in my Science Fiction & Fantasy Reading Project. Of the four stories, this one to my mind examines the weightiest issues, the relationship between conqueror and conquered.

At some point, I would like to read Laura Bickles’ full length works, but I found myself confused by Aliette de Bodard’s magical Paris, and unsure if I want to know more.

With 3 out of 4 stories at 4 stars and one at 3 stars, I am going with a 4 star rating for the whole volume. Books of short stories are difficult to rate!