wandapedersen39

Guilty Pleasures
Laurell K. Hamilton

The Warrior's Apprentice / Lois McMaster Bujold

The Warrior's Apprentice - Lois McMaster Bujold

Discharged from the Barrarayan academy after flunking the physical, a discouraged Miles Vorkosigan takes possession of a jumpship and becomes the leader of a mercenary force that expands to a fleet of treasonous proportions.

A rolling stone gathers no moss. Miles Naismith Vorkosigan, with his favourite saying at the ending of the book being “Forward momentum,” will never grow any moss.  At the end of Barrayar, Miles is a small, brittle-boned child with a reluctance to sit still and preternatural speed for finding the next predicament to get into.  He is able to keep three or four adults hopping and still regularly break his bones while performing these antics.

The Warrior’s Apprentice introduces the reader to Miles, the young man. Still determined, still looking to make his mark in the world, but rapidly washing out of Barrayaran military school due to his physical limitations.  So what will he do with his life once the military life is ruled out?  It becomes expedient for Miles to visit his maternal grandmother in Beta Colony and the adventure begins.

Miles is a perfect balance of his genetics—he has his father’s mind for strategy and politics and his mother’s Betan heart for people, understanding them and wanting to help. The combination launches him on his big adventure almost by accident.  His grandmother Naismith acknowledges his propensity to “pick up strays” and with his first two acts of kindness he attracts his first two devoted followers.

One thing leads to another and soon Miles is an accidental military leader and leaning on what he has learned by spending time with his father plus what he can steal time to study on the job. Fake it till you make it.

A rollicking adventure with a satisfying ending. No cliff-hanger, but obviously set up for the further adventures of Miles Vorkosigan, which I look forward to reading.

Book number 214 in my science fiction and fantasy reading project.