wandapedersen39

A Hunger Like No Other
Kresley Cole

Pocket Apocalypse / Seanan McGuire

Pocket Apocalypse - Seanan McGuire

Alexander Price has survived gorgons, basilisks, and his own family—no small feat, considering that his family includes two telepaths, a reanimated corpse, and a colony of talking, pantheistic mice. Still, he’s starting to feel like he’s got the hang of things…at least until his girlfriend, Shelby Tanner, shows up asking pointed questions about werewolves and the state of his passport. From there, it’s just a hop, skip, and a jump to Australia, a continent filled with new challenges, new dangers, and yes, rival cryptozoologists who don’t like their “visiting expert” very much.

Australia is a cryptozoologist’s dream, filled with unique species and unique challenges. Unfortunately, it’s also filled with Shelby’s family, who aren’t delighted by the length of her stay in America. And then there are the werewolves to consider: infected killing machines who would like nothing more than to claim the continent as their own. The continent which currently includes Alex.

Survival is hard enough when you’re on familiar ground. Alex Price is very far from home, but there’s one thing he knows for sure: he’s not going down without a fight.

The Aeslin Mice get to go Down Under! A second book following Alex Price, brother to Verity and boyfriend to Shelby, as he and Shelby go to Australia to assist her family and the Thirty Six Society deal with a unexpected breakout of lycanthropy. The question becomes, which is more dangerous to Alex, the werewolves or Shelby’s father?

As usual, the mice made the book for me. I really enjoyed the six acolytes packed in the carry-on luggage. They stealthily raid the plane’s pantry, set up headquarters in Australia, and go snake hunting. Not only that, we learn that they have special abilities that help with more than just Alex’s relationship with his potential in-laws.

Nerdy Alex is in the right place, using science to deal with both the outbreak and his fear. Just for the record, the cover once again depicts Shelby as Barbie in Bindi Irwin’s clothes (i.e. rather stereotypically) and Alex is not shown wearing glasses, which is plain from the text that he needs in order to see.

Another enjoyable romp with the Price family.