Wanda's Book Reviews

Birding Without Borders: An Obsession, a Quest, and the Biggest Year in the World
Noah Strycker
Living with Shakespeare: Actors, Directors, and Writers on Shakespeare in Our Time
Susannah Carson
Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Trilogy)
Kiersten White
What a Fish Knows: The Inner Lives of Our Underwater Cousins
Jonathan Balcombe
The Gap Into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge
Stephen R. Donaldson
David Brin
Progress: 67/678 pages

Once a Month Cooking

Once-a-month Cooking (Revised and Expanded Once a month cooking) - Mimi Wilson, Mary Beth Lagerborg

I like this concept—devote one day per month to cooking and freezing food, then just thaw and apply the finishing touches as the month progresses. It will concentrate my grocery spending in one shopping trip and hopefully reduce waste of fresh ingredients (as my weeks often morph from quiet to busy with very little warning).

I make only one New Year’s resolution each year and this year’s is to reduce food waste, with hopes that I may also be able to reduce my grocery bill. Prices are high and getting higher as the Canadian dollar continues its downward slide and most of our produce is imported from the U.S. Meat prices were already high before the dollar weakened, so more vegetarian fare will also be in the cards.

The recipes in this cookbook didn’t appeal to me very much. I think I will be better off substituting some of my current repertoire that I already know that I like and that will also freeze well.