wandapedersen39

Wanda's Book Reviews

Good Me Bad Me
Ali Land
My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
Jim Butcher, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Rachel Caine, Susan Krinard, P.N. Elrod, L.A. Banks, Charlaine Harris, Lori Handeland, Esther M. Friesner
The Secret Life of Germs: What They Are, Why We Need Them, and How We Can Protect Ourselves Against Them
Philip M. Tierno Jr.
Misery
Stephen King

Second Grave on the Left / Darynda Jones

Second Grave on the Left - Darynda Jones

***Wanda's Summer Festival of Reading Fluff***

Flufftastic. This second volume of the series gets the same star rating as the first because nothing much has changed. Charley is still our “I see dead people” private investigator with a crush on bad-boy Reyes Farrow. Reyes is still pretty much unavailable (that happens when you’re Satan’s son and he wants to get you back to help with the family business).

On the positive side, the book is fast paced and easy to read. I finished it in one evening. There are a lot of good zingers and plenty of humour. Interestingly, it is the reverse of most books: it’s the men who don’t get very substantial roles and are narrowly focused on Charley. Plus, with the great friendship between Charley and Cookie, this series aces the Bechdel test, no matter how light and fluffy it is.

Negatives, you ask? Well, there’s the whole tall, dark, and handsome bad-boy love interest. Stereotype or what? Especially when there are perfectly nice real guys available. Plus the whole “fixated on a man who isn’t available” thing—women do that too often in real life, why would we want to read about it? Been there, done that. Not doing it every again, thanks. Also, I think it's a shame that there's such a concentration on Charley's physical attributes, rather than her brilliance at solving mysteries and her bravery.

Still, the series is cute, entertaining, and easy to read.