wandapedersen39

Wanda's Book Reviews

Urban Enemies
Jim Butcher, Kevin Hearne, Kelley Armstrong, Seanan McGuire, Jeff Somers, Joseph Nassise, Jonathan Maberry
Shattered
Kevin Hearne
Nothing Like the Sun
Anthony Burgess
Bloodfever
Karen Marie Moning

About Me (Everything you ever wanted to know & then some)

Greetings all. *waves* My name is Wanda and I am a bookaholic.

I am a cataloguer in a university library and a museum library. Most of my university work involves cataloguing special collections—I just finished a small collection of Dickens first editions, which was quite fun. At the museum, I am currently cataloguing a collection of WWI propaganda.

I remember being impatient as a little kid to learn how to read. I was quite frustrated as a 5 year-old when I was sent for 4 days of pre-grade-one testing that there was no reading instruction included! My mother despaired of me in Grades 1 to 3, as I was trying to read adult books. She used to ask, “Couldn’t you read Cowboy Sam? Or Dr. Seuss?” But no, I wanted to read science textbooks! One of the biggest joys in my life was Grade 5 when I was finally allowed to use the “Big Kids Library” of our school.

My reading interests are many and varied. I am currently reading my way through a huge list of science fiction & fantasy that I got from NPR in 2011. I started with the oldest title (Frankenstein by Mary Shelley) and I’ve been trying to work my way through it chronologically since then. I’m currently reading books from the 1980s.

I’m also a fan of murder mysteries and I’m particularly fond of the Scandinavian authors. My father’s family came to Canada from Denmark, so I’ve also developed an interest in fiction featuring Scandinavian history, especially Vikings.

I volunteered my time for many years as a natural history educator, teaching about wildlife & conservation issues, so nonfiction on these topics is still of great interest to me.

Other interests include birding, traveling, photography, genealogy, Shakespeare, paleontology and bunnies, not necessarily in that order. Coffee is my substance of choice, with wine coming a close second.

Have I passed the job interview? Still want to be friends? Sure hope so!